Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Restlessness settled!

What follows is part 3 . Read part 1 and part 2 .
Dear Anand,

I know that it would have been a huge shock to you when those divorce papers were given to you. And you have been trying to talk to me for the past month now, but I have avoided all contact with you. This last one month of solitude and soul searching has helped a lot. I felt that I was just submerged in every day events that I did not know where my life was headed. I needed some time alone to do all this thinking. Some space, if I may call it so.

You are a good kid Anand and we had some good times together. Anand, you would remember that one night, I told you about the things that I wanted the most. Some of them were things, which if I pursued, would have put a strain on our marriage. But what you do not know Anand, that there are certain things that I hated the most. Like our freakishly disciplined lifestyle.

This past one month has taught me one very important thing. Sometimes, the things that we hate the most can also become the very same things that we miss the most. Anand, I know I have made a mistake. I just hope that it isn't late. I have so much to tell you, and that is exactly what I want to do. ‘tell you'- talk to you. I can't make myself pick up the phone call you and start this conversation. (You would know that from the number of blank calls I gave you when we were dating). Just let me know its ok to call you, I will. I have an open ticket back to Madras with me and am willing to take tonight's flight. When you know that there is a better life waiting for you, you would want that to start right now, right?

Dying to hear from you.
love
Priya

She read the mail, re read the mail, re re read the mail, till she had almost memorized the words. She clicked on the read receipt option and clicked on the send mail button.

Priya shut the laptop, closed her eyes and leaned back on her chair taking a deep breath. She was livid with herself over the events in the past two months and how she had created the mess. The events replayed in her mind over and over again and she was unable to shut these thoughts out. She walked up to window, opened it and stuck her head. The icy winds of Chicago were almost piercingly cold. The sting made it physically impossible to let her thoughts wander. She had begun to like the few minutes she spent in the cold. She walked back to her laptop. She had a post ready for her anonymous blog where she had been pouring her heart out over the past two months.

A message from Anand was waiting for her. A strange feeling took over her. She was happy to have received a reply so soon, but the very thought of what could be in there, made her quiver.
Priya,

The thing I like about you most is that you were always strong willed and took bold decisions. Not necessarily the right ones always. Your decisions were centred on your happiness and what you felt was the best for you. I guess, that was fine when we were friends, and it was a small issue when we were dating. But I was sure that it would change post our wedding. Apparently not.

Kiddo, while you are in the process of soul searching, do consider what I have just said. If we are to get back together, we take decisions as 'we' and not 'I'. Having said that, this one decision whether to come back home should be solely yours.

Still Smittenly yours,
Anand

Priya picked up the phone, 'Hello, Yes hi, I have an open ticket to Chennai, India. When is the earliest availability?'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm... looks like U have the beginning and end of a nice short story, the events of the 'past two months' may be the body

Swetha Krishnan said...

Nice, literally feels like watching a scene from a movie....waiting for the last part and guessing its gonna be a happy and emotional ending :-)

Karthik/SK/wimpy/SKimpy said...

strong stuff da

1. till you put links now, I didn't know that part 1 and part 2 were connected

2. ok given that parts 1 and 2 were connected i didn't know there would be a part 3.

so now that (as I expect - more would be overkill) the story is over, it all nicely fits in. strongu wonly.

Anonymous said...

Like Skimpy-wimpy said before me, I didn't know tht they were connected till now..:)
so, you prohave proven ( or trying to?) tht you like happy endings after all?
2D

P.S:- BTW- why did she send a Divorce notice?..you need toa nswer some questions...all the 3 parts of the story read "lovey-dovey"...when/how/whr did hte misunderstandings start?..you need to tie up some loose ends here..

Anonymous said...

Nice :) finally a happy ending!!! tho knowing u i wont be surprised if there is a part 4 with a twist... i half expected him to be married to someone else by the time her mail reached him in this one :D

Anonymous said...

and in addition to all the comments above, i really wanna know the source of your inspirations :))

Horsie said...

awesome stuff mate :). building up well.
please, o pretty please, let her jet land in chennai and not crash in the pacific. that will make it too hindi movieish!!

lucky said...

SFI: Good thought

Swetha: Thanks :) Am not sure on part 4 yet. Lets see.

SK: When I wrote 2, I knew that there would be a part 3, but what it would look like I did not know till a day before I wrote this.
Part 4, I do not know. I do not think it would be an overkill 'coz if the story is tight then it should be fine.

2D: You ask too many questions :)

Rachna: Happy ending? Who said it is over :P. And hey, don't look at the ending to judge the story.

GV: As a great man( Read me :P) once said: Inspiration and Indication can come from anywhere/any source.

Horsie: Thanks. Let me see if there is a part 4. If there is then will keep your comment in mind.

unpredictable said...

:) I have so many thoughts on this .. and although i love the style still, there's something that bothers me about the story ... once uve asked someone for a break in a relationship, its very tough to find them in a forgiving position and willing to get back together, the relationship can never ever be the same ever again .. sage advice to me from friends who broke up and tried to get back together ... ill track to see whether u build this reality into part 4 :)