Friday, May 08, 2009

This and That

It is difficult to let go.


There are people who would not want to get attached because it hurt when you have to move on. By attachment I don't necessarily mean an individual but it could be with an idea, a book, a city, college, job etc. I do not shy away from getting attached. It aches when bonds are broken but when you are so attached but the beauty of the relationship is anything but enhanced.


But today, I see the flip side of getting attached. The relationship seems well past its prime, (which I desperately hope against) but I am affected by how things are between my friend and me. Admittedly it is has not been the best in past few months but I am caught between wondering why it can't get better to whether I've reached dead end.


---

It hasn't been a great month in terms of news. I heard that a good friend of mine is getting divorced just two years into his marriage. Now without going into where things went so wrong, I am kind of affected. This friend's wife (or ex-wife) would possibly match most of the criteria which I would have for my partner when I decide to get into the matrimonial arena. So this incident has left me thinking.


I believe that purity of purpose and intent (of being together) should be the moral compass than any hallowedness being attached to the institution of marriage. Am I being too idealistic? Are we pulling the emergency exit button a little too soon?


I guess when it rains, it pours. Another friend of mine just called off his relationship with his fiancé, just when the family had started talking to each other to fix wedding dates. And an acquaintance’s wedding was called off 2 days before the wedding-date because the girl felt she wasn't ready to get married. And this was after 7-8 months of courtship. Hmmm..


Anyways, I know that enough number of couples exist who are living their happily-ever-after dream. So nothing can be generalised (both good and bad incidents). However, the 'bad' incidents used to happen to someone who I would have never heard of. Today it is in my own circle.


And all of the above occurred in the past one month.


--------

And somewhere in the midst of all this I turned a year older. I have derived a strong correlation between age and number of people who come-over/call at midnight. The older you get the number of people who come over and / or call at midnight declines significantly. So also there is a trend observed on decline of calls and shift towards sms, facebook/ orkut scraps. All ominous signs of growing older J


---

Come June and I will be done 3 years in Mumbai. 3 years in my first job. Whoa! When and how did time slip off? Ok. Now I realise that this post sounds whiny. So I stop here. I am planning course correction get some more activity back in my life. I intend to be out in the Ghats almost every weekend once the rains start. Junta care to join?


By the way, I was looking through calendar for the year. In end September and early October, I noticed that If I take 7 days off I get 16 days break. (Thanks to Ramzan, Dassera and Gandhi Jayanti). So I can plan for a long vacation. People Suggestions? Open to both domestic and international locales. (Note: I am a budget traveller)

5 comments:

unpredictable said...

Ladakh.

Swetha Krishnan said...

hmm...I think as both men and women are well educated these days, they have high expectations and there is hardly any room for adjustments or compromises. No two people can be alike, couples should understand this before even thinking of getting married. And any relationship will work only if both parties work towards it in harmony and really want it bad! :)

Anyway, if you wanna travel, come visit me in the US...free stay for a budget friendly traveller ;)

lucky said...

unpred: Good idea. It was on my list. Lets see. THanks :)

Swetha: Can't agree more. Both need to want it to happen real bad.
THanks for the offer. I might just take it up. :)

Quirky Quill said...

September is an awesome time to go just about anywhere!
Thought about Bhutan?

lucky said...

QQ: THanks. That is another place added to the list! NE India was under my radar too.