Sunday, April 19, 2009

Change, perhaps is due

On 10th April, I landed in Chennai on what was to be the first day of my long vacation. Today is the last day. Sigh! But I have had such an amazing time in the last 10 days, doing well, absolutely nothing.


As my previous post mentions, I have been traveling non stop for couple of weeks. Lots of work, very little sleep and non stop travel had left me with a sore back and a bruised spirit. Over the last 10 days I have slept most of my sleep deficit off. Back is still sore. :(

In Chennai, I attended a wedding of a close friend of mine. A cocktail party reception and muhurtam. We had a blast. It was a simple affair. The party was fun, with lots of dancing. Apparently, I can dance well. I diddn't know that. Guess I always had the talent, it just took a little more time to blossom :P


From Madras, I came to home to Bangalore and have been here for 5-6 days. Most of my time here has been spent sleeping, eating 'mom-prepared' delicacies and reading. I consciously stayed away from laptops and internet as much as possible. I would have a heavy breakfast, then scrumptious lunch and then siesta for 2-3 hours. Wake up and demand freshly brewed filter coffee. I wasn't too demanding about dinner except for 1 full mango which would be served chilled. :P I got to spend a lot of time with folks and bro and we also caught a tam movie together in theater.


As I pack my bags to leave, I am engulfed in sorrow. It is not because my holiday has ended (ok that also) but this time I was unwilling to leave home.


Over the last 3 years, I haven't taken an extended holiday. Almost all my breaks have been 2-3 days combined with my travel or a wedding trip. I have never stayed at home for such an extended period of time in last 3 odd years. This trip reminded me of my college days. I would come back home in my semester breaks to be pampered completely . And when my month long semester break would end, I would be devastated at the prospect of going back. This was true especially in my third year, when I stayed alone in a house where I had to do every bit of work by myself. It would get terribly lonely as I would come home around 6pm and till next day college at 830 am, I would have no one to talk to.Those were days of no mobiles or laptops/internet. I did not even have a TV for a long time and to make a phone call I had to walk 5 min to the nearest PCO and stand in queue of 10-15 min, only to be interrupted 3 minutes into the call by the next person. (Wow, how much has life changed!). I used to dread going back to the lonely existence. Looking back, I wonder how I managed that year, given my 'need' of having people around. Necessity I guess.


Today, somehow I feel the same way. I don't want to go back to Bombay. It is not like I have a lonely existence but somehow there is nothing much to look forward to. There is work which I like, but beyond that?? Change, perhaps is due.

14 comments:

Anu said...

You have to get married and thats probably you are hinting via this blog! :P

Bj said...

give me your tamilmatrimony.com id daa...need to pass it on to my chitthis and athais...:)

P.S: How is dostana going to handle this??

lucky said...

Anu - marriage? ok. thanks!

L - sure, on the condition that we swap ids?

Anonymous said...

yeah ravi, u should get married!!

lallu - dostana has you na, so im sure he'll be fine :D

~CE

Swetha Krishnan said...

haha looks like all your friends guessed the obvious :)
I think its time to make travel plans with that someone special!!!
I have leads, if you are interested :)

lucky said...

Swetha - Et tu?
Can't a man just be a little homesick? especially if he has been pampered like never before??
All my friends who have commented above are on the cusp of getting hitched and hence they have taken it upon themselves to pull me into misery with them. :)
btw, leads are always welcome. You know where to mail me!

Unknown said...

Maybe it is time for me to post our gtalk conversations here Ravi.

What say you? :P

Penguin said...

CE clearly thinks that L (the baby of our batch, I'm presuming) is me! Chi, CE, I thought you'd know me better than that!

Lucky - perhaps a role in the Bangalore sales office might help? :-)

harini calamur said...

thank you for commenting on my blog...
after a loong time of staying by myself in a far away city - i returned to the bosom of my family (isn't that a terribly cliched term) - and have been pampered like crazy for the last 15 years. trust me, there is no better way to be. from filter coffeet that is filtered to taiyre shadam at night to great conversations ...
there are times i miss my 'space' - but .....:)

harini

rach said...

u know... i could totally empathise with this one... it reminded me of those initial weeks in IIMB when i thought i would die of homesickness... until u decided to entertain and bug the hell out of me :) but u should be really really proud tat u lasted thro that 1 lonely year.. i would have probably packed my bags and run home...

lucky said...

Harini - thanks for dropping by!

Rach - :)

Anonymous said...

tired of comments like "Go on! " or buy antibiotics online. Then write to me at icq 75949683256...

Anonymous said...

I`m short of time.

Anonymous said...

Is there an entrance charge?
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online zof