Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008

As I look back at 2008, I see it as a year of stretch.

When I started writing this post, I was just filled with a mostly negative outlook towards the year gone by. Mostly Of the tough times. Of not so easy choices. Of bad timings and worse situations. But then, if I could, would I make 2008 disappear. Like, erase it off totally May be not. I know I don't seek hardships and would love to have a life minus its vicissitudes but then it would be a life less ordinary.

Stretch I guess is good. Pushes your boundaries, tests you on the edges, where you are least prepared and most vulnerable . In 2008, I learnt that when pushed, I can stretch a decent amount. Comfortably skirt the edges. Hardships also teach you to make hard choices. Like stripping away of the inessentials - what you once considered so vital to your lifestyle. However philosophical it may sound, I realized that happiness is in fact a state of mind - it is within your influence and control. Though I have this enlightenment, I am yet to use this wisdom :(And by the way however much people refuse to admit it - retail therapy can give you moments of temporary high :)

I learnt, to borrow JK Rowling's words, that you can in fact turn rock bottom, into a darn good foundation. And finally that the biggest moments of personal victory lie in smallest of things that are far removed from the public eye.

Hey, 2008 wasn't that bad a year after all.

1 comment:

Swetha Krishnan said...

2008 is a year i will always cherish!!!
wish u a wonderful 2009! keep writing!