Friday, December 07, 2007

Friday Musings

Om Shaanti Om ...I managed to catch that this week. Total timepass I tell you. Shahrukh had a reason to overact (I do like him, and his acting occasionally) and he did that pretty well. I enjoyed the song with 31 stars and was so excited when it was onscreen. I am such a fimli guy :) The music is pretty nice and I have been humming 'Om shaanti Om' and 'Ajab si' songs..and ofcourse how can I forget Deepika Padukone..

I have to let you in on a secret. I have a knack of spotting talent you see. I spotted Deepika Padukone 2-3 years ago and predicted that she would make it big. She was in my top 5 long ago.. oh and that is the other secret.. my top 5. I have this top 5 list which is periodically updated.. right now there is Kiera Knightley, Vidya Balan, Deepika Padukone, Asin and Shreya. And I tell you what they made it to my list long ago.. Kiera with Bend it like Beckham (long before the Pirates series or Arthur). Vidya balan made it there with Parineeta, Deepika with her Close Up ads, Asin- much before her Gajini movie and Shreya.. well yeah.. she made it there after Shivaji only..

I take my top 5 list very seriously. I am planning a trip to London in the next year.. hopefully and one of my agenda items it to track and meet Kiera Knightley. So I am searching for her calender and ways to meet her. If any of you could help.. I would be eternally grateful :). I learnt that Vidya Balan was a second cousin of a cousin of my friend. I did convince my mom to talk to my friends mom if she could talk to Vidya Balan or Vidya Balan's mom.. but I guess it got lost at the first or the second cousin stage, I think. But hey, I did try.

So you see, the top 5 is a priviledged place to be :)
--*--
I had mentioned two posts ago that I would be attending Archie's wedding or rather reception this week. I did that yesterday. And it was fun. Well, not in the literal sense of fun but I had a different experience. The wedding was in Chembur in the Murugan temple (Or the Madarasi temple as the Autowallahs call it). This gave me an opportunity to visit this temple, something I had been wanting to do for a long time now. Anywho, the interesting part of the evening was that there was only one person that I knew in the entire gathering, and that was the bride. I had met Archie through blog and orkut and her circle of people had never intersected my circle of people and hence I was alone in that hall. And boy, what fun it was. It was a typical tam-bram crowd which had gathered there
- There was a group of people of elderly disposition (see I am polite ) sitting in the rows behind me, and I heard the quintissential Tam brahm names - Raghu thatha, Kittu mama and Ramamurthy uncle. Guess only an 'Ambi mama' was missing.
- I heard a mami telling her husband at 7.45pm ' Vango, kalambalam, naazhi aachu'
- I saw a group of mama's discussing the some article in 'The Hindu' and politics and staunchly supporting the BJP
- Some maami's sitting in a row just ahead of me had started their 'maami' work. 'Adhu Lalitha ponnu thaanai. avullukku pakkaralaa'. (But I tell you, weddings are great places to meet members of the opposite sex.. personal experience you see. )
- A mama was telling his group.. 'Maami, pannarai dosai odai bettera irukku'.
But something was missing.. it wasn't feeling complete till I heard one of the women say- 'Kolangal paathelono' . Thats it. How come a gaggle of women and no mention of soap operas or rather mega serials. I silently clenched my fist and muttered 'adhu!'

I had now had a almost complete tam-bram social event experience.. (well ofcourse I missed the filter coffee among a few other elements..but it was as good as it gets kinda thing)
--- **---
Tomorrow, saturday, I am going river rafting. So I am looking at an action packed weekend. Hope its fun. If I get some pics, I will put them up.

6 comments:

unpredictable said...

:) Tam weddings .. sho!

Anonymous said...

hey for those who dont know tam... u need to put up some translations da! do u wanna lose ur diverse audience??

Quirky Quill said...

U know u really should renew your Top 5 list- Have you seen Heyy Babyy- Vidya Balan's worst pic ever!! ugh only.

lucky said...

Unpred: yeah!

rachna: I did think of putting translations, but I guess the impact is 'cultural' and translations wouldn't help much.
So sincere apologies to non-tam junta.

quirky quill: Thank you for dropping by and commenting. Yeah vidya balan wasn't her best there.. but guess even after a complete mess up by her make up person/costume person.. she is nice.. so thats good enough :)
Remember shakespeare ' one swallow maketh not a summer'..

Anonymous said...

I think Vidya Balan made it to my list when she appeared in that Bajaj ad {here's where I go one-up on you :D} ... I think it was an ad for caliber. Military guy - marries a girl (which is VB) - dies - they bring home the coffine ... something like that.

And yes, Tam-Bram weddings ... :)

Anonymous said...

cute post! :-) so sorry that no one knew you :-( rumba sorry!!!