Monday, June 04, 2007

Sea

Standing on a beach, just staring at the blue expanse gives me a sense of tranquility. I go quiet and deeply contemplative in the vicinity of the sea.

My association with the sea started when I was three or four years old. I stayed in Ranchi, the current capital of Jharkhand. Come summer and I would make an annual pilgrimage to my grandparents' place in Madras. These days, the heat seems to be unbearable, but as a kid I remember, I would love those trips to Madras, the long train rides and sitting on 'red-oxide' floor with grandparents. I would do the ritual of relative hopping over the 1.5 months that I would spend in Madras. Regardless of the age of the cousin I was visiting, a trip to the beach was a given. Marina beach, Santhome beach, Gandhi Beach, Chepauk beach.

If the uncle I was visiting stayed nearer to the sea then we would go the the beach early in the morning, have a long splash in the water followed by a good breakfast at Saravana Bhavan/ Geetha Cafe/ Drive-in Woodlands and get home by 8ish. Else we would make an evening pilgrimage to the beach. But beach was an integral part of all summer vacations.

When I moved to Bangalore at high school stage, the proximity of the city to Madras meant that I would make more number of trips a year but the length of the trip would be shortened from anywhere between 2 days to a week. Short trips meant that I would invariably have to skip the beach :(

The draw of the sea, I guess to far too powerful. I returned to Madras to pursue my undergraduation. Those four years were, what I would call my 'growing up' years. In this period, I started making sense of the world around me. Some 'sensibilities' set in and if I may say I was slowing figuring out my bearings. My constant companion was the sea. I have spent hours on its shore. Sometimes it was to ogle at gals, sometimes to catch up with some old friend(s),sometimes catching up with special friend(s), sometimes just hanging out with people and a few times hanging out alone; with myself. And never has the sea been unwelcoming. The beach at Besant Nagar has seen my many phases. Its been a silent witness to my 'growing up'.

Now I am in Mumbai, and the sea still beckons. It has been a year since I moved to Mumbai, but I haven't been able to find my way to Marine Drive or Juhu beach more than once or twice. And whenever I did manage a trip in that direction, I always had something else to do, so I never got to spend time on the shores. But I made amends last week. I was sitting on Marine Drive post a sumptuous Gujju lunch at my friend H's place and a tiring 2 hours of scavenging through the second hand book shops on the road side. As usual I was in a contemplative mood. I caught myself reflecting on the one year I had spent in Bombay and the way it had just flown by. The sun had set and the yellowish orange tinge was slowly engulfing the sky. The waves were mild, trying to gently climb the wave-breakers. The sea visibly quiet; tranquil. It seemed to be telling me ' Ah, there you are. Welcome back. I've missed you!'
The picture above was taken on my mobile. This is view of Walkeshwar/ Malabar Hill side from Nariman point.

4 comments:

Mahogany said...

We really need to compare notes on Madras. Sounds like we've had slightly different experiences of the city :-)

Anonymous said...

Applause!:-) How often you visit the sea depends on how close to it u live... I lived 5 minutes away from the sea in Bombay and visited Carter Road almost every other day while growing up... In Chennai in the past 6-7 years ive been to the ocean less than 10 times coz its not too close to where I live... Really saddens me as im an ocean lover myself :(

unpredictable said...

Didnt ever realize u love water as much as i do :) My latest blog has mroe than 1 pics of the ocean and the sunset ... ive resolved to go to the sea side or a waterfront atleast once a week jus to find that calm tht nothing else can induce :)

gr8 to see u blogging more regularly :)

~SuCh~ said...

Beaches are perhaps the closest you can get to nature, if you stay in a city... And thats what keeps drawing one to them. I like the beaches by the night, when the crowd dies down, and only the light house stands tall, with is beacon alight.. Moonlight visits to the beach are also a treat.