Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ghanan Ghanan

The rains are here. Actually they are not yet here. But the Monsoon season is here. What a relief from the sweltering heat that has been beating down upon us over the past few months.


And symbolically, as if to coincide with the season, I started reading 'Chasing the Monsoons' by Alexander Frater yesterday. Alexander Frater in this book greets the monsoons at Trivandrum and follows its path up to Bombay stopping at Cochin and Goa en route. He then travels to Cherrapunji, Calcutta Varanasi and Delhi to complete his journey. His writing is simple and it captures in some detail the effect this season has on the many people who call India their home.


Monsoons are very capricious in nature. The Indian Monsoons are part of one of the world's most complicated weather systems that isn't understood perfectly even today. Starting south of equator over the Indian Ocean, the winds are drawn towards the subcontinent because the landmass is hotter than the surrounding seas. These winds pickup the evaporating moisture as they travel over the seas and these moisture laden clouds burst as rains over the landmass. If only it was that simple. Multitude of factors like warming of Tibetan peninsula, jet streams ,trade winds, Coriollis forces on crossing the equator, Westerlies and El Nino effect the timing and the amount of rains the subcontinent would receive that season.


The rains affect our lives in so many ways. We have made huge strides in science yet we haven't understood the awesomely complex weather phenomenon to make exact predictions. Now add to this changes due to global warming, differential heating of ocean surfaces, ice caps melting and climate change and we have a black box. The differences between an astrologer and weather scientist soon begins to fade. (Weather scientists have my utmost respect and sympathies).


Rains have been part of history, mythology, literature, poetry, songs, romance and popular culture for eons. From season specific raagas to romantic and even sensual poetry the monsoons inspire us all. Alexander Frater describes the moment when he is standing at Kovalam Beach in Trivandrum holding hands with strangers watching the black clouds race towards them from the distant horizon. A motley crowd gathered from around the country waits for the first rains of the season to hit them. I can almost feel their ecstasy and feel like rejoicing when the rain drenches their bodies and warms their spirits. I can't remember the last time I got soaked to the bone and was so happy or at least nonchalant about it.


And as I was reading this, it hit me that I have possibly got 'de-seasonised' in some aspects. I spend most of my day in air conditioned office complaining about the burning heat that I cannot avoid over the weekends. And when the rains come I am excited. Excited about taking a walk on Marine drive or sitting near my small sit-out of my house, sipping hot chocolate, listening to music and reading while the rain purifies the world around me. While I enjoy this initially, I soon settle into the rant around not getting autos, potholes, clothes remaining damp etc. You get the picture.


So this monsoons you are going to find me cribbing to a much lesser extent (can't completely avoid it na) and trying to connect more with the season. I will learn a little more about the weather system that causes this monsoon much beyond what my geography text books have taught me, read more about poetry and literature down the ages, understand how this season affects/affected farmers, artisans, kings, wars and society and so on.


I have a lot of reading lined up and I am starting with something that I wanted to read always - Ritusamharam by Kalidasa.


10 comments:

unpredictable said...

The rains are making me soppy mopey and giddily happy in turns. Def no work getting done at this rate. Bah!

Anonymous said...

Just Returned from a walk at marine drive :)
Need some Garam Chai and Kanda bhaji
And I dont want to work or pretend to work

unpredictable said...

Gah. I want Kanda Bhajji also! Are you CE or someone else, dear enticer?

Anonymous said...

wrong place to comment but each one is 35 calories
What is CE ?? Well I am reading Mr.Ravi's blog to get to know him more.

unpredictable said...

CE = Clicking Eagle, someone who frequents this space often. No need to remind me of the calories, now. Joy is joy is joy and won't be mixed with cals.

Penguin said...

I LOVE Chasing the Monsoon - I read it back on campus from Bookrack, which was a place frequented only by me, I think :-) I remember that scene you describe - gave me joyous goosebumps even then!

lucky said...

Unpred: Rains can affect you in so many ways.. nostagia, mopey, soppy, giddily happy etc etc.. Wonder if anything else in nature can have such effects...

Anon: Welcome. But I get a sense that you aren't really new here.. are you? I am flattered someone is reading my blog to get to know me better.

Penguin: ghar aajaa pardesi.. we will do monsoon trek!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I regard as precise post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I contemplate the list inform should prepare more info then it has.