Sunday, November 23, 2008

A century of Perpetual Transition

I have audio version of JK Rowling's Harvard commencement address saved on my desktop. Checkout the youtube video here. Every time I listen to the speech, tears literally well up in my eyes.

Amongst many things that I relate to in that speech - there is one sentence that has been hovering in my thoughts for a while now. It reads '..... that is your privilege and burden'.

As an individual, I get a sense of joy and fulfilment if I am able to help others. And by my own admission and of people around me, my desire to help others (sometimes help is such a condescending word), lets say my desire of be of benefit to others is higher than that of the average Joe ( not the plumber ;)) . So, I don't know why the above line makes me think so much.

May be my issue with the above line is - Why is being making world a better place 'for others' a duty or a responsibility or a privilege or a burden? As it is we work hard to make our own lives better now ‘others’ are also included?

Over a time I have come to believe that one cannot be significantly more happy or prosperous than the average lot around. If a chasm persists for a period of time, it would lead to social unrest, in the end benefitting no one. I do not know if this belief is right or wrong, but basis this belief and the fact that I derive a small measure of joy by being of benefit to others, I find it easy to get involved in altruistic activities.

How much ever I would like everybody to think this way, it isn't so. Almost 70-80% of the people in this country are fighting to survive. So, who works to make their 'world a better place'? I guess that is why we all elect government and pay our taxes. But clearly that is not enough. So the civil society steps in through non profits, for profits, NGOs and so on.

I digress. I think my discomfort from the above line comes from the question that under what authority do we charge people to consider being altruistic as a privilege or burden or duty or responsibility begging to be discharged. If it is 'moral' then from where does anyone derive the moral authority? Political - not really. Political can be dangerous too. Religious – No thanks! If it is humanitarian - hmm.. I don't know.

A philosophical dilemma. My way of thinking about this is - the feel-good factor. Get involved. Create the transformation. See the results. You will feel good. That is for sure. This need not become your career or your life but can become a facet of your character. And that itself is a good place to be in.

ps:This is my 100th post. Yipee! It will be 3 years in December since this blog came into existence. Writing does not come naturally to me. So each post takes a lot of effort. It takes a lot out of me. Its been a lot of fun nonetheless.

I have had interesting conversations about this blog from people who know me personally too. Many have said that my blog personality is different, a few say that it is the same. But one thing almost all agree on. The title- In perpetual transition is apt. :) Would love to hear your comments (even those who have been lurking)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep it coming... really doesnt seem like 3 years tho!