Thursday, October 02, 2008

Sigh! Such is life!

At work, in business, we have this concept of benchmarking. Look at how other companies or businesses have done in similar situations. What has been the output and/or the challenges faced. And to benchmark, we look at other industries, geographies, competition and so on to get a good 'feel' and learn from their successes and failures.

However, when it comes to personal life, somehow I tend to forget this principle. That learning from other's experiences is not just an intelligent thing to do, but a wise thing as well.

'Learn from my experience ' -that has been the overall theme of what people have said. But then I believe (or so have believed - not anymore) that past is not an indication of the future and especially if it is not your own past.

'You have not experienced this, how will you ever understand, let alone talk to me sensibily about it? So, why should I listen to you on this? '

In Tamil there is a phrase - 'Vayasu kolaru' (perils of a particular age.. especially teenage and early adolescene ;)). Guess that fits in here. See, again I am trying to avoid owning up :(.

And today, I find myself in a spot. I find myself 'giving gyaan' to someone. And guess what I am telling that person - 'Even though I have not experienced exactly what you have been through, I can understand. '

And I get the same reply back - 'You have no idea what I have been through,so you cannot exactly understand.'

Sigh!Such is life - it does come around a full circle. Only that I had no idea tht it would be this early.

No comments: