Thursday, September 14, 2006

Return of the King!

I bow to thee !
Books thicker than the encyclopedia would be required if one were to document each and every word written about this great man. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.
I am sure that there was no man, no man in this country or a genuine cricket lover who was not gladdened when he saw Sachin hit his century today. I did not follow the match today as I was in rural Tamil Nadu. The moment I got to know that Sachin had scored a century today, a wonderful feeeling of happiness and joy just enveloped me. Today he was back, back with his sixes. He was back with his straight drive, straighter drive and straightest drive. (This should be christened Sachin shot!). His sixes over extra cover were an absolute spectacle to watch.

There was a time when Sachin got out and half of India would switch off its Television sets. There was a time when he carried the hopes of 1 billion people alone. It may not be the case today. People may still see hope in the match even if Sachin is dismissed but people never lose hope in a match if Sachin is around.
Greatness is not about making a big bang. Greatness lies in consistency. Being able to go out on the field, and perform at the pinnacle of one's performance day after day, time after time defines greatness. Tiger Woods in his recent interview(published couple of days ago), defines greatness as equivalent to consistency.
All I can say is that I am truly blessed to be a contemporary of Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar ;) . He has given me the sheer joy of watching poetry in motion.
I bow to thee!
'Form is temporary, class is permanent'

No comments: