Thursday, April 20, 2006

Elections and Economics

I have this habit of striking up conversations with auto drivers whenever I travel in Chennai. And invariably it comes down to politics. In my recent trip to Chennai, I had a very interesting conversation with an auto driver.

The entire conversation started off with a simple question from me. 'Who will you vote for?'. I was surprised by his immediate reply. 'Jayalalitha' . I was now curious. I wanted to know the reason behind his conviction. My thoughts were jumping from whether his union was affiliated to the AIADMK or if he was a party worker or may be just an 'amma' supporter. But his answer surprised me.

"During this rule of 'amma' the city has done well. There are many new companies which have come to Chennai and many people are visiting Chennai. Hence the business is brisk and I am making good income. "

My immediate and almost instinctive question was 'What about the Rs 2 rice, free TV , removal of liquour from TASMAC and 2 acres land among others'?

'Saar, the Rs. 3.50 rice in ration shops itself is not good, how much at Rs. 2 will I buy. The DMK has been saying that the TN finances are not good and amma is ruining it and they want the centre to help. But, when they are come to power, they will spend the extra money from the state money to provide Rs 2 rice? 5 years ago when DMK was in power how come they did not give rice at Rs 2 when it costed only Rs 2.50. Its all lipservice sir nothing more and nothing new.
About colour TV, we all can buy a colour TV with one month of savings and loan. And for those who cannot do that, for them a hospital in their village or a cement house is more important than colour TV. About land, I dont know when I will be alloted my land, and in this how many acres would the rich people take off.. and more so which corner of Tamil Nadu I would be alloted. If I am given land near Tuticorin (extreme south TN) and I am in Chennai (North TN) whats the use?

I dont want the government to give me free stuff like this. I want them to provide a good system. I will work hard and earn my living. I want them to ensure jobs for people who graduate. My son who comes out of engineering college in next 2 years should get a job. I think this current government has got lot of companies and so my son can get a job. I send my daughter to tutions and she comes back late at night. There are lots of patrols at night and the crime against women has come down in last 2 years. Also amma has paid a lot of importance to girl's education.'

I was totally surprised with his line of thinking. Economic progress combined with increased awareness due to media and a basic level of education can be a deadly combination. If the entire voting population thinks in this manner......


ps: I have only reproduced what the auto driver narrated to me.

7 comments:

musafir said...

:) - slice of life eh?

Refraining from going into the logic of the auto driver's opinion, you'll be surprised to learn that most of the people at the lower strata of society hold a similar outlook in life.

They don't want freebies; instead, opportunities and a chance to lead a dignified life is all they ask. But is anybody listening?

Good to have you back blogging - keep writing.

consumerdemon said...

Voice of India ?

Karthik said...

Auto driver nalla clear a irukkan !! Wonder if other people are also so clear in their outlook !! BTw, am either not going to vote or vote for the candidate who will surely loose !! I am tired of hearing more subsidies given from the tax which i pay(I do pay taxes !!)

~SuCh~ said...

Wish i could think like the auto driver.. Remarkable clarity.. People trying to make a change by launching a political party should first satisfy the likes of the auto driver..

lucky said...

Eswar: thanks. No i did not ask him about rasigar mandram, but next time surely.

Musafir: Thanks. Yeah good to be back.

Consumerdemon: Voice of India? Hmm.. not a bad idea. :)

Karthik: A better way would be to go there, sign against your name and mark your protest by not voting for any candidate. You have the right to do that

Soliloquist: Its heartening to see some educated people standing for elections this time. May be we are seeing a change.

~SuCh~ said...

I wouldnt entirely be heartened by the 'educated' people standing for elections this time. Reading an interview by their candidate didnt inspire too much confidence either.. And education isnt the only criteria for an able adminstrator/politician. There were educated thugs as well us uneducated king makers in the past..
Education in the formal sense doesnt give all it takes to be a shrewd politician.. And plus there is alwyas the lure of money, fame and power..

lucky said...

yes 'educated' people have been swindlers and uneducated people good king makers.. but u associate a level of knowledge and decency with education and hope that it is so when such candidates stand.

what people used to consider a resort of thugs and crooks (read politics) is now being considered a potential career too.. few educated people may not change the world but they defitely could signal a larger change.

ya ya. the greed for money fame n power is always there.. its in business, in relationships and in life.. nothin new abt it in politics.. every man politician or not needs these to fuel his ego.. so associatin these to politicians by default aint fair.. n would be stereotypical mentality.

These